Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Find a New Course Toward Health

Does the Devil tempt with cheesecake? Maybe
I heard back from my daughters recently, after not hearing from them for a long time. It was wonderful. I love hearing from them. They are truly smart, classy, beautiful ladies and both of them are in their 20s.

Only rarely do I hear back from old friends. But, friends are not the same as family. I have a healthy, great relationship with a super lady and that is pretty much where I spend most of my free time communicating. You see, she lives in the Greater Boston Area, while I live in the Greater New York Area. Hopefully, that changes soon but we're not there yet.

Anyway, there are all these relationships in my life, like anyone else's: Very little family though. Basically, just the girls.

While I care for the people in my life, I can't get worn out on drama anymore -- anyone's -- not even mine. As I creep up there in age, I have to stay laser-focused on eating right, keeping my mind active, getting proper exercise and feeding my spiritual self. If I don't, then my disabilities will get control of me -- again. Instead of losing weight, I will be putting weight on, and I don't want to do that.

I saw a wonderful message on Facebook, it said: "Don't Get Drawn Into Anyone's Drama, Draw Them Into Your Peace." I like the hell out of that saying, not enough to get a tattoo of it or anything but I sure will keep that one in my pocket for some time.

I think it was Marianne Williamson that said, "If you do not change how you think, you will never be able to change who you are." Well, I'll give an 'Amen' out to Sister Marianne. And, if you like yourself just the way you are and you don't want to change...then don't.

I wanted to change because I was (and am) overweight, unhealthy with many conditions in full bloom, psychologically a mess and I could barely walk down a staircase without breathing hard. Hey, I'd rather be dead than lead the rest of my life like that. Like a lot of people, I live with quite a few problems. These problems were and are permanent and several of them are very physically painful. But, my attention wasn't on fixing me: It was on personal dramas, wallowing in my pain, bitching and trying to solicit sympathy. Yeah, I was a train-wreck.

In my case, I didn't want to be 'me' anymore. I wanted a healthier, more grounded and spiritually charged 'me.' And, with the help of God, the Veteran's Administration and some drive finally, I actually did start doing everything I could to live and live healthy and everything has been falling in line really well.

Yeah, I lost 20 pounds and working on it responsibly. Not by dieting. I just started eating the way I should and walk as much as I could. Oh, and about walking -- I will swear by Vitamin D and Fish Oil. My doctors prescribed them and it has been a revelation.

During a great many of therapeutic sessions I had with my therapists, one of their themes was letting go of grudges, frustration and -- yes -- dramas. They couldn't have been more right. Today, I hardly ever or never get angry, excited, worry or yell.

Why would I? Why should I?

Now, I love but don't get judgmental. If either of my kids or any of my friends had a real problem, of course I would do everything possible to make it right. But, the petty BS that climbs into people's every day life is quite another thing entirely. And, if I don't feel like that then it's on me if I get a heart attack or worse.

Young people fall and bounce. Today, my old ass falls and stays right there where it fell.

You know, mankind is really a race of explorers. Not many of us actually climb the Himalayas (and for the record -- who the hell would want to?) or swim the channel. Still, it is an adventure of sorts to chart a new course in life and to sail toward an unfamiliar port. In this case, the port is a healthy you. Everything about yourself is going to change if you take this journey seriously. You'll stop the little every day things that are pushing you into the ground.

I am not trying to kill myself anymore with tobacco, cheesecake or screaming.

I like this journey. And, as I move down this river more, I have started asking myself why I didn't do this years before. My answer is always the same, though: 'Because I wasn't ready for it.' Well, I'm ready for it now and my personal well-being has my full attention ('bout time). I'm responsible for my personal well-being -- not my significant other, my kids, the neighbor next door, the guy who lives behind the dumpster, the night crew at the Dunkin' Donuts. No, just me.

Do you remember in any business class you've taken through the years, when the first rule of business is discussed: Always pay yourself first. OK, this is just like that, but instead of money -- it's your time, exercise, eating right, doctor visits, taking medication...the whole thing. Do that first and let nothing interfere with your regiment and you're going to notice a change.

Well, thanks for letting me go on and pontificate. I've pontificated so much on this blog so far, someone should have given me a big hat, cape and red shoes by now. It is always a pleasure writing here. Have a great week and...seeya later, alligator.


No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.