Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The reason for the season: Peace on Earth

By JIM PURCELL

I am an unabashed Christian. I love my God, my country and my family. These things are the center of my universe. I report news here. But, for this season, this Christmas Season, I do not want to focus on the evil in the world. It is enough to know that it is there. It not only waits but strikes during this, the brightest season of all.

Still, there is a time to abandon harsh reality; to suspend our negative beliefs. Whether or not the historical Christ was actually born in December is not at issue: He wasn't. However, he was born and this is the season we remember Him. And, thank God he came.

Christmas can be a time when we allow our better angels more sway than the rest of the year. It can be a break from the coldness of a world that has grown bleak with bad news from every corner. So, it is a treat to be able to sing together, gather with our friends and family, laugh a little and maybe even watch a Christmas show that touches a place in our hearts.

When I was a seminarian, the president of my seminary used to say that we live in a "post modern world." I didn't know what that was for the longest time. It was something he said. After a few years of hearing him say that, I took the time to look up what exactly "post modern" meant. In short, it means that no one believes anything anymore, and that cynicism is the rule of the day.

I believe he is right. I also believe, though, that this is the Christmas Season and I will try as best as I can to honor the birth of my personal savior, Jesus Christ. I will, for a time, allow the sun to shine a bit brighter, to linger a little longer when it comes to talking to my friends and family, to walk a little more sharply and to smile a little more.

Let the world not be gray for a time. Let there be a shine, a sparkle for at least this season. Let these few days be a time when the smiles of children, the antics of our pets, our homes and hearths, be the inspiration of a span of time. In our hearts, let us remind ourselves of the people we dream of being and let that shine through.

I thank all of my readers for stopping by and reading this. May you have the peace of the season upon you. God bless to you and yours.






No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.