Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Prayer

When I came across the topic of prayer in the Gospel of Matthew, it was a revelation to me. I was child, in the seventh- or eight-grade. And, whereas I had learned to be specific in any prayers for God, Matthew's Gospel instructed quite the opposite.

My exegesis of the scripture was that God knows everything that is in our heart, all our needs and everything going on in our lives. Since all of us, every single one of us -- whether some care to admit it or not, are imperfect -- then there is no use for people asking for things like a wishlist. Rather, utterance of this prayer was perfectly suitable any and every time anyone ever prayed.

Imagine that! Praying was a good deal easier than I had thought.

Here it is: "Our Father, who art in heaven,
                   Hallowed by thy name,
                   Thy Kingdom come,
                   Thy will be done,
                   On earth as it is in heaven.
                   Give us this day our daily bread,
                   And forgive us our debts,
                   As we forgive our debtors.
                   And, lead us not into temptation,
                   But deliver us from evil,
                   For thine is the Kingdom, the power
                   And the glory. 
                   Forever and ever. 
                                                 Amen

Why do I mention prayer? Well, it has been my experience that times may come in anyone's life when only two people might love you: Your God and your dog. And, it is best to know how to treat both well. 

I once heard in a movie (I think it was "Rudy") that each of us prays in our time but God answers in his. Despite the source, I believe that sounds about right. Later, in seminary, I was taught that prayer is always wonderful -- no matter what. However, sometimes the answer to a prayer is simply "No." Well, that is reasonable enough. Yet, even if the answer to a prayer is 'no,' I believe that does not mean we are abandoned. At least I am banking on that point of view being true.

Sometimes, life is very hard. When family turns their back on you, lovers betray you, friends abandon you and acquaintances forget your name purposefully, there will always be God. However, I was not embellishing about the dog aspect of my discourse. Dogs have been my staunchest friends and supporters in my life, and the only ones in the flesh I can say unequivocally who have never ceased being constant for me. Perhaps that is an eccentric thing to say, but I will go one farther and say these furry companions are a blessing as sure as any other. Such animals are unconditional love made flesh. And, dogs may well be among the most wonderful of miracles the Lord has given us in this life. They are certainly among the best people walking the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.