Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Joe DiMaggio, 'moron fans' and Las Vegas nights

JOE DiMAGGIO
I was a struggling, new journalist in 1996, working full-time for Rockfleet Media, Inc., based in Pt. Pleasant, New Jersey. I had just been appointed by company owner Joe Fuchs to be the editor of the Ocean County Review and the sports editor for the newspaper chain.

I was also relatively newly married to third wife Dawn Shea, of Keansburg, whom I met while attending Georgian Court College, in Lakewood. It was a doomed marriage from the start, I think. There were so many problems, not the least of which being money. I was only being paid $22,000 by Joe Fuchs to edit his paper, which covered the communities of: Seaside Park, Seaside Heights, Lavallette, Normandy Beach and area, as well as Mantoloking. Dawn did not work but we had two cars (and insurances) and a nice condominium in Brick Township to pay for.

So, I took side work as a news correspondent for the Ocean County Observer, in Toms River, under editor Chuck Tribblehorn; and as a part-time writer for Jeff Rodman, at B&J Collectives, Inc. (later known as Sports Advantage).

This story is about the 55-year anniversary of the 56-game hitting streak for one Joe DiMaggio, also affectionately known as "The Yankee Clipper." In '96, Joe was still alive. And, according to Jeff Rodman, who owned B&J along with his father, they had paid Joe $1 million to have all the rights to his signature for some period of time. How long I have forgotten.

I was doing smaller jobs for Jeff previously: then I wrote the press releases and did the phone work for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and Oakland Raider "Raiderette" Dance Team when B&J was pushing computer screensavers for the organizations, respectively. It worked out well. I did a good job and Jeff noticed. So, I worked on press for the products, as well as went back and forth with the organizations for Jeff, where it regarded media for some important parts of that project. And, it was both a success and a national campaign! Yay for me.

Likewise, I was assigned a Bill Parcells project (he was living in nearby Sea Girt, NJ at the time) for some promotion or other he was doing with B&J and I put together some press releases Jeff wanted me to do, after a phone interview with Coach Parcells himself. For the record, Bill Parcells has a reputation for being gruff and irritated. Well, it was the farthest thing from what I experienced. He was the one of the nicest guys I ever did business with. He was patient, calm, funny...a prince. Anyone could work with Bill Parcells and they would be lucky to do it.

Then came Jeff's 'big deal' promotion. Mr. Rodman informed me that some time back (did he say a year or two?), B&J and Joe D. came to a deal where the Clipper would only sign balls, bats, memorabilia and photos for B&J -- that was it. In exchange for that, he was very well paid for the times.

The relationship between Jeff and Joe D. was reportedly close and the Yankee luminary would frequently call Jeff late into the night or in the wee hours of the morning to "...just talk." Jeff said Joe didn't have many people in his life, and that he was bad tempered and foul mouthed (no doubt contributing to the situation).

When the pair went to Las Vegas as part of the company's annual trek, Jeff said DiMaggio and he were constant companions but noted the Yankee great was both unhappy and troubled. I was sympathetic. I was even one of DiMaggio's biggest fans. Accordingly, Jeff led me into a large warehouse behind the main corporate building and showed me literally rows and rows and rows of shelves with all manner of goods signed by DiMaggio. My mouth fell open. I had no idea how anyone could sign their names that many times. I asked Jeff how he expected to sell all of this, and he replied that he was not looking to sell it all at once. DiMaggio was an all-time great and these goods could be sold for many years after his passing. I was in awe. In addition, Jeff told me he had more goods in a small warehouse off-site. Truly, mind blowing.

BILL PARCELLS


Now, to the business at hand: I worked out a time when I could come back and when Jeff could get me a phone interview with Joe D. I was so excited! The Yankee Clipper himself! One of the greatest players to ever live! I was over the moon! Jeff would be there, of course, because I was a little star struck and wanted to get all the information I needed. If anything, Jeff seemed a little affably surprised I had hero worship going on for this cranky old ballplayer he was so accustomed to at this point.

The day of the call I come in early, have two notebooks, several new pens and barely concealed excitement on my face. Jeff's secretary lets me into Jeff's office, and he was behind his desk as usual, conquering the world. He looked up and then put in the call.

The Clipper answered the phone: "Hello? Hello?"

Jeff said: "Joe...Joe...It's Jeff Rodman."

Joe: "Who? Oh, Jeff, what do you need?"

Jeff explained he was preparing for a promotion for the 56-game hitting streak and would like him to answer a few questions for the press guy he hired to help out. Joe D. said, "I don't know about this."

Jeff nods to me and I say, 'Mr. DiMaggio, it is an honor to work with you on this. I am among your biggest fans and it is a real privilege to be able to promote this project."

Immediately, Joe says, "Jeff...Jeff...who the hell is this [guy]? What the hell is he doing here? What is this all about?"

I respond that a press campaign is being put together and it would be very special to have some reflections from the "Yankee Clipper" that may be new, to help with the release and maybe the sales. I concluded with '...there are so many fans of the game that just love you and everything you meant and mean to the Great Game, sir.'

There was dead silence. Maybe I had him...or maybe not.

"The fans are a bunch of morons. F--k the fans! I had the [gosh darn] thing covered years ago. Use that [stuff]. [Forget] you, you [bad person]. The [gosh darn] fans are jackasses. [Forget] them. Do I have to do anymore of this, Jeff?"

I was angry. Turning red. Becoming unprofessional...until I went all the way unprofessional.

"Hey, Joe!" I said. "You're a [gosh darn] sham. If there is anyone who is a [moron] here it is you. People love you and maybe they are stupid but only because they don't see the filthy, old, weird [person] you are, you [bad person]. I would soon as eat [something unpleasant] than write one [gosh darn] word of praise about your ancient [gosh darn] career!"

With that, I turned my back and walked out of Jeff's office. I was not surprised when he did not send my usual check, or when I did not hear back from him again. But, I have always found refuge in the fact that, though I may have lost money, I got the chance to tell DiMaggio where to go and how to get there. I would never buy another thing with his name on it.

And, I still won't.

Three years later, Joe DiMaggio passed away on March 8, in 1999, which was a day before my 33rd birthday. I tried to think of him fondly. I understand Jeff had to fire me. But, he had to be a saint to put up with that man: I could never.


No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.