Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

My Mom and Brother...and Jack LaLanne

When I was a child, during the early 1970s, there was a black-and-white television show in the afternoons called "The Jack LaLanne Show." Mr. LaLanne (1914-2011) was this very worked out host who would guide viewers through various exercises and talk about nutrition while he was doing it. In no time at all, Mr. LaLanne gained a widespread following and housewives from sea to shining sea were working out with Jack.

My mother, Ruth, was no different. She would go upstairs in the afternoon and patiently wait for Mr. LaLanne's show. Quite often, my brother (who was a little heavy) would join her. The paces Mr. LaLanne put his faithful through were nothing like what workouts are today. Nevertheless, it did get plenty of people off the couch and into uncomfortable positions on the floor on a regular basis.

At the time, I could barely make it up the stairs, since they were kind of steep. But, one day, eager to learn the 'secret' going on upstairs (which came along with something like jumping noises) I carefully trod up the stairs lightly. At the top of the staircase, as stealthy as a ninja-toddler, I got to the precipice to see my mother and brother working out. Mom asked if I wanted to work out. I told her 'no.' I had no idea what they were doing. Meanwhile, David took great exception to seeing me and vowed never to work out again. Well, from what I can tell, he was good to his word about that one.

In her youth, my Mom had been a striking red-haired girl who was known for her beauty as well as her red locks. As everyone does at a certain age, and in their own way, she tried very hard to fight back against the inevitable march of the years.

People nowadays look so much better in their 50s and 60s than people of a similar age so many years ago. Working out probably has something to do with it; watching one's diet is another factor; as is stress, regular medical and dental attention and lifestyle.

When I was a young man, I could have sworn my body and appearance would always be what it was, and perhaps change a little but not much over time. Similarly, my third ex-wife (how is that not a joke?), Dawn, once affirmed very loudly and definitely that she, in fact, was never going to age. As proof, she cited her aunt who looked exactly the same that day as she had 20 years before. Nine years older than her and already seeing the effects of time beginning to take hold, I agreed easily. 'That is a wonderful thing. You bottle that and we're buying a house in Las Vegas next week.' I didn't even get her to break a smile with that one.

Dawn informed me that her genes allowed for a vastly slowed aging process. I recall saying I was very gratified to hear that and then suggested for us to create a time capsule that she can open in a hundred years or so as she started to get her first wisps of gray hair. It was another joke that didn't go over too well.

When I was young, and around so many of my friends, we were sure that life was long and friends and family would always, always be there -- no matter what. Yet, while some of us were lucky in love, family and jobs; others of us were lucky with jobs; others lucky with love or family; and still others not lucky about a darn thing. Ask me today and I will tell you I have no idea what or where luck is -- it has been so long since I last saw it. I guess I learned that everything has a time and a season, as brief as a quick Spring too often. It is marvelous to enjoy the smell of the flowers in the Spring as they again bloom to life. But, it never hurts to plan for the inevitable winter that always seems to show up a bit too soon. I believe this is a wonderful piece of advice not only for everyone (in the metaphorical sense) but also a worthy thought in considering the nature of everything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.