Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

America: My Great Love

Yeah, NAFTA pretty much knocked out American Industry.
The Republic of the United States of America will always be great. The Founders gave us a governmental framework that is unparalleled in the history of mankind. Though they practiced the abomination of slavery, they did leave room in their governmental theology to allow for the expansion of rights to minorities and women, and if not for that room rights to everyone could not have been possible.

In an indirect way, the Founders allowed for the later revolutions by Workers, Veterans, Hispanics, Blacks and Women for Rights in our country and, while that does not excuse their sins, it does demonstrate that, at the very least, these men had souls.

While I shall always believe in the sanctity of the Framework of Democracy within our republic, I will likewise always believe in the reduction of the Great American Society, Industrial Machine and Culture during the latter 20th century and early 21st century. This blessed republic was left in the hands of fools, madmen and war-mongers and the result was horrendous.

I believe the luster of the United States may well return one day, but I am resigned to it not being in my lifetime. And, I am glad I was born when I was because I shall not have to witness but so much of the travesty wrought by so many derelicts of public service, as I am sure the Good Lord will call me home long before our nation finds its final bottom.

As I write this, there is truly no more middle-class in our country. The rich are, as in the early 20th century, firmly North American royalty again, backed by the trust of the American Government. And, the working man has been demoted from holder of the American Dream to share cropper of the American Dream. Thanks to the efforts of presidents Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush, the North American Free Trade Agreement has stripped the workers of this nation of any advantage they once held in favor of comically cheap labor in several Third World countries. Remarkably, these former leaders actually smile and claim this abandonment of the common American as some kind of victory. This was done, I believe, so American manufacturing and industrial captains no longer had to kowtow to labor unions, which provided a living wage and dignified life to countless American families.

Today, working class Americans are  no better than serfs in their own country, as there has never in the history of this nation been such a disparity between the very rich and the working class. Our Government has delivered the working class into the open hands of poverty; and this should be a crime, but the common man no longer has an advocate in the halls of power to shout this.

From the President of the United States down to your local Alderman or Committee representative, these people are but a shadow of those who held their seats so long ago. There is no greatness in men and women today. Perhaps, during the Great Age of America (notably, the 1940s, '50s and '60s) collectively we were so blessed with so many talented people that we ran through our stock entirely and that shelf became bare.

America has also become a bad drunk when it comes to wars and conflicts of choice. Far from learning any real lesson from the ill-fated Vietnam War (1959-1975), the nation has made frivolous wars a common occurrence, such as in Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan, among others. These wars, which produced nothing of real benefit to Americans or the nation, served to kill and wound good Americans with no result, and bleed infinite amounts of money from the nation for so many years and in such large amounts that it is simply heartbreaking to contemplate. No longer does our nation hold the unquestioned moral high ground where the use of arms is involved. If anything, we should collectively spurn war for some time, as the 'record' states our country tends to screw up anything military.

Thanks to the horrible events of September 11, 2001, America has become a society of spying, self-monitoring and filming...anywhere and everywhere, as much as possible and at all levels of Government: local, county, state and national. Americans are more monitored today than ever before, and this includes their computers, e-mails and telephone calls. While the cries of "national security" may be justification for this, these practices have diminished the nation and who we, as Americans, are, in my opinion. I do not feel passionately about this, as I am old and have no secrets, but it is sad to see barriers and armed guards in place over-watching common buildings that once were free to be walked into, such as the many structures in Washington DC. In fact, today there are even barriers and armed guards around the White House Christmas tree. I suppose I do not want to see the Christmas tree so much I might risk being shot accidentally. Thus, I will admire photos of it or perhaps there is a nice video about it on YouTube.

The U.S. military is not the one I served in during the 1980s and '90s. It is not a professional army that I see  protecting this country. It is one devoid of real leadership at all levels. It reminds me much of the Civil War "Armies of Amateurs" that are heralded in the annals of American history. I did not serve in other services, so I feel inadequate to comment, though I suspect it is probably the same situation as the army, in my deduction. In so many ways, our armed services are nothing more than a poor building construction, with a weak frame and second-rate concrete poured for a foundation, though with wonderful marketing. I try not to think of it because it is abysmal.


Wars of choice? We've had a few.
Accompanying all this is that more Americans are illiterate and functionally illiterate today than ever before -- even during the 1960s. Our nation ranks very low in mathematics and sciences against other First World nations around the globe -- and if not for Hollywood, music and professional sports -- young people the world over would be hard-pressed to find some aspect of our Great American Society to emulate.

Meanwhile, the law enforcement community has taken unrest to transform American cities and towns into a Police State that is oppressive and expansive, in many, many places throughout our country.

The media is no longer that "informal check or safeguard against tyranny" in this country. It is entertainment, focused chiefly upon celebrity gossip or political misadventures or patronage. There are no more Edward R. Murrows, Ben Bradleys or Cornelius Ryans out there: them and the greatness that was American news are dead and gone. Perhaps one day this will return, but I shall not hold my breath. Instead, I have taken to reading novels -- it is at least as informative as contemporary news broadcasts, and perhaps as true. The Huffington Post is running the show now...let's find out more about Lindsay Lohan and to hell with the news.

While the Bread Lines of the poor grow, so does the American Police State: sounds like the early Soviet Union, doesn't it? I do not care anymore, I am old and can and do ignore this fact from a retirement community. Protest is useless, the ship that is our country is in dark waters, and all that I care about and am willing to act upon are watching good ballgames, seeing as much of the theater and symphony as I can, indulging myself in art appreciation and reading good books.

There is nothing attractive in the actions of anyone in this country to lead: Democrats, Republicans, Green Party, Independent -- they and their political and personal ideologies are garbage. There will never be another Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy or Lyndon Baines Johnson. Indeed, I would happily take a Richard Nixon or even Gerald Ford if I could (not to mention their collective congresses and appointments).

Like an old man over time, our nation has shrunken and is cold and frail against the weather.

I love my country and have served her in uniform during times of peace and war. I served my community helping as best as I could at the Pile where Tower South formerly stood before 9/11/01 and I advocated and agitated for civil rights for women and minorities my entire life -- and I am proud of these things. As a member of the clergy, I helped men and women die with dignity and peace, and am glad for it. Likewise, I wrote the truth as a journalist, sometimes despite threats of bodily harm and even murder. Still, I did what was right. This is a good enough life for me.

In my twilight, I shall enjoy my family, my hobbies, old movies, culture and team sports. I suppose I will go to the polls when the AARP tells me to do so and cast my votes appropriately. But, by and large, this is my brief eulogy to the heyday of the America I knew as a child and young man, and relished and was utterly and hopelessly in love with. Oh, I still do love this better than all other nations and hold my loyalty only to her, but she is no longer so beautiful, so witty or gay, nor so smart or charming. She is an ordinary woman, withered by time as much as I am. Together, she and I can sit comfortably on the porch and watch sunsets and go for walks. Though she is no longer a head turner, I love her still, and it is the comfortable love of two people fighting the winter of old age. How we talk of the old times! Indeed, those were the best of times.

America will outlive me and I wish the old girl well. She is and has always been one of the great passions I have had. She is an attractive older woman, but you should have seen her in her prime! America was the most beautiful girl at school and she shined like new chrome against an Arizona sun. It could blind you it was so bright. Still, she is a wonderful lady and if she is a little haggard around the edges...aren't we all?

Thanks for stopping by and...as always...seeya later, alligators!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.