Pages

Friday, June 21, 2019

Old Grudges Are Like Clothes That Don't Fit Anymore

I was on Facebook and happened to notice that a mutual friend was 'friends' with an old master sergeant I used to work for when I was in the Army. Well, this guy I used to work for gave me a pretty hard time, for one reason or another. I thought he was a pretty terrible NCO actually, which was a shame given he retired as a Sergeant Major. 

   Well, I took a look at his old, wizened mug and found I didn't really feel that old grudge anymore. That was remarkable, really, given that for a good 10 years after my service I would not have minded at all if I saw him slip and fall on a banana peel and take a header onto a good, hard concrete sidewalk. 

   With time comes patience, though, and perspective. All the good and all the bad happens to people for a reason, I think. All kinds of experiences make us the people we are. And, each experience gives us a chance to grow, if we want to do it. 

   No one knows what tomorrow brings. The future is unwritten, and brings new opportunities with it. As I see it, there isn't nearly enough time to live in the present and the past at the same time. So, I have chosen to live in the present, with all the promise it brings. 

   I suppose that living with old grudges is a lot like keeping clothes around your house that do not fit anymore. They serve no purpose, take up room you can use for something else and no one ever regrets getting rid of them. 

-- Jim Purcell

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.