Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Doing Research on Ulysses Grant

I haven't posted for awhile because I am reading White's "American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant" and, after that, am going to read "Memoirs of Gen. William T. Sherman, Vol. 2." I want to write a multi-part piece about Grant's experience during the Mexican War, the Interwar Years, the Civil War and his presidency (perhaps the most controversial thing about his public life).

I like to write history but so much of of writing good history is doing good research before the writing. I don't want to rush the research but it is going to take two reads of White's book (and its 667 pages in addition to its 200 pages of bibliography) and Sherman's 448 pages. Hey, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I'll be back after the researching and the writing. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.