Pages

Monday, June 18, 2018

The Purcell Chronicles Closes In On 100,000 Views

I began this blog in September of 2013. I am a former journalist and wanted to continue writing, but did not want to deal with advertisers or promotions, politics or the like. So, from the very beginning, I was committed to The Purcell Chronicles not allowing any advertising, not seeking any advertising, not taking any advertising if it was offered. Further, I wanted this site to be free of the drama of politics, though I wanted to leave the door open, so to speak, in case there was a political topic I wanted to write about.

   Something else I wanted to make this blog was 'family-friendly.' If a young person, or any person for that matter, arrives on my blog, they will not see smut, foul language or anything shady or socially unacceptable. Saying something with a clear voice is all anyone needs to do; no one needs to curse, use foul language or display lewd content.

   When the blog started, I tried a wide variety of subjects. I promote my articles on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google Plus and Linkedin. But, for the first two or three years, the site was not drawing a lot of views. Then, I started writing about what I know the best -- military history and militaria. Specifically, I wanted to create credible reports about these subjects from an informed and well-researched perspective. And, it was then that the blog really started finding its audience and its voice.

   Don't get me wrong, I want to branch out from the military history and militaria. However, I would add other topics without taking away the stream of articles I write about the military and militaria.

   I was a soldier during the 1980s and very early 1990s, and the Army has changed so much since then that I celebrate the armed forces in the latter Cold War and its weapon systems and equipment. I don't cover that much about the New Army, because I don't have first-hand knowledge of it. And, whatever I write about, I want to know what I am talking about.

   History is something altogether different. In college, I studied history at Georgian Court College, in New Jersey, and it captivated me. I brought my love of history to the newspapers I worked for after that, and continue to highlight historical events.

   Nowadays, so many people are trying to edit history for the sake of their politics or point-of-view. So, to combat this trend, I research historical articles with at least three good, secondary sources. Of course, if I can come up with a primary source then that is so much better.

   The most important thing I want to do with this column, though, is to thank the readers of this blog. You guys are the reason I write this. So many people have made this site a regular stop for their online news and features. The readers just make me want to do the best job I can.

   Again, thanks for coming around and seeing the articles here.


All the Best,

Jim Purcell
Publisher

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.