Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

My interview with Valerie Persaud, September 2011



Inline image 2

By DAVID KERR 

Here is my interview with Valerie Persaud of “Inside Social Work” taped in September 2011[1].  I thought it appropriate to post again since it describes much of the long-term cost-effective self-help philosophy that I have seen work for many hard core addicts and even the present day “suburban addicts” who are finding themselves trapped by the harmful lifestyle of addiction.  The penalty that people and families are paying for ignoring addiction grows quietly and insidiously.  Often people don’t realize what they are doing and what they have done to themselves, their friends, their employment and their family, until it is too late.  

Sickness and death from highly toxic painkiller overdoses are reported nearly every day in the news media in 2017, far in excess of that seen and reported in 2011.  Now they know that they are addicted and need help yet they often face long waiting lists for treatment.  The treatment though is a good beginning but the real recovery begins once they leave the safety of the residential or out-patient center.  They must know that their recovery will take a minimum of five years in order to lock in to a new safe and healthy lifestyle, drug and alcohol free.  For starters, I suggest calling Integrity House (973-623-0600) and describe your problem or that of a loved one; or feel free to email me as well for advice at dkerr.recoveryadvisorygroup@gmail.com.  If you need emergency detoxification one suggestion is to call Bergen Regional Medical Center at 973-967-4000 or click on http://www.detoxlocal.com/

Click on the following link to see and hear my thoughts on addiction, treatment and recovery in the 2011 conversation with Valerie Persaud on “Inside Social Work.”  Hopefully you will find the 25 minute interview interesting and informative!  What I said then is even more applicable today. 

from “Inside Social Work” with Valerie Persaud: “Integrity House for Alcohol and Drug Recovery”
Valerie Persaud    https://www.google.com/#q=valerie+persaud&*

Here is my blogsite: 

My book “The Voices of Integrity” can be found on:
If you would like this book, send me an email and I will follow up sending it to you at a reduced rate.



[1] I retired from work at Integrity House in March 2012 and I am pleased that the program is now in the very capable and experienced hands of long-term Integrity House staff member Robert Budsock.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, libel or defamation, nudity of any kind or sexual imagery is permitted on this site. The site's management reserves the right to screen all messages for appropriateness through this venue.